“They are our neighbours. They work relentlessly from dawn ‘til dusk. They are organic BC Grain Farmers and they are the inspiration for everything we do.”
Organic Stone Ground BC Grown Red Fife Heritage Wheat
- Red Fife Wheat is the genetic grandparent of most Canadian wheat grown today and a vital part of modern wheat breeding in Canada and much of the world
- Its name is derived from David Fife, a farmer in the Peterborough area, who in 1842 began growing some kernels he received from Scotland. The wheat flourished like nothing before it had in Canada.
- Over time, Red Fife wheat was hybridized with other varieties for reasons of better disease resistance, improved yields and shorter growing season. One factor not considered was the effects of hybridization on the TASTE!
- Red Fife is characterized by an exceptional nutty and robust flavour.
- At True Grain, we slowly stone mill Organic Red Fife Grain at low temperatures to preserve the flavour
- Our signature wheat breads, such as our Red Fife Sourdough and Cracked Grain are made exclusively with Red Fife. Our Red Fife Ginger Cookies are also our most popular. Look for the Red Fife symbol on our menu and shelf signage
- Our Red Fife is available in whole-ground, sifted, whole kernel, cream of Red Fife porridge and Red Fife bran
- More information Red Fife Factsheet
- Read the Ode To David Fife
Organic Stone Ground BC Grown Spelt
- Spelt is a cereal grain that is believed to have evolved as a hybrid of emmer and a wild goat grass.
- Spelt is growing in popularity among discerning North American consumers who value its nutty flavour and high nutritional value.
- Spelt has been recognized for its high protein content (about 10-25% higher than that of conventional hard red wheat), broad spectrum of easily absorbed nutrients, its exceptional hypoallergenic properties, and its suitability as an organically grown crop.
- At True Grain Bread we make our Whole Spelt with certified organic whole spelt grain grown in Armstrong, BC. The grain is milled freshly at True Grain Mill and naturally leavened, with the addition of water, salt and a hint of flax. True Grain Bread’s whole spelt is a golden brown, dense flavourful loaf.
- Our light spelt and spelt baguettes are made with sifted spelt flour. The removal of the dense bran in the milling process creates a lighter fluffier loaf with a unique spelt flavour.
- Our Spelt is available in whole-ground sifted kernel porridge or bran email us for details email@example.com
- more information Spelt Factsheet
Organic Stone Ground BC Grown Khorasan
- Khorasan is the third oldest of the ancient grains (after einkorn and emmer)
- Khorasan is thought to be the ancestor of todays durum wheat family. Durum wheat is particularly favourable for making pasta.
- The most popular brand of khorasan is Kamut® (pronounced “Ka’moot”) is an ancient relative of modern durum wheat. Kamut®’s name is comes from the ancient Egyptian word for “wheat”
- Khorasan wheat may be a good alternative for those suffering from wheat sensitivities. Khorasan is a wheat, but since it is in a simpler form the gluten structure is different than todays modern wheat varieties.
- At True Grain Bread, the Khorasan Pumpkinseed loaf is quickly becoming one of the most popular loaves due to its unique characteristics and “wheat free” following.
- Our Khorasan is available in whole-ground sifted or kernel – email us for details firstname.lastname@example.org
Organic Stone Ground BC Grown Emmer
- Emmer is a delicate long grain with an exceptional full-bodied taste.
- Emmer Emmer is an ancient hulled grain whose ancestory dates back over 8,000 years and is believed to be a cross between Einkorn and a wild grass.
- It was the first cereal grain cultivated by humans and is largely credited with allowing humans to evolve from hunter gatherers to agricultural societies.
- Our experience is that manny people who suffer from non-celiac gluten sensitivity find they can digest Emmer products because of its simple genetic make-up (28 chromosomes vs 42 in modern wheat)
- Our Emmer is available in whole-ground sifted kernel porridge or bran – email us for details email@example.com
Organic Stone Ground BC Grown Rye
- Rye is a grass grown extensively as a grain and as a forage crop. It is a member of the wheat tribe and is closely related to barley and wheat.
- Rye grain is used for flour, rye bread, fermented for alcoholic beverages. It can also be eaten whole, either as boiled rye berries, or by being rolled, similar to rolled oats.
- Rye flour has a lower gluten content than wheat flour, and contains a higher proportion of soluble fiber.
- Rye bread is a widely eaten food in Northern and Eastern Europe. A whole rye bread is typically very dense. It is often lightened by mixing with wheat or less commonly by sifting off the heavy outer component of the kernel, the bran, and using the flour.
- Our rye is available in whole-ground sifted kernel or bran – email us for details firstname.lastname@example.org
- More information Rye Factsheet
Organic Stone Ground Island Wheat
- We are the ONLY commercial source of (certified) organic Vancouver Island Grown Wheat
- Vancouver Island Farmers used to grow much of their own grain in the early 1900’s. In the last 50 years the grain farmer as well as the whole infrastructure that supported the local grain growing industry has all but disappeared.
- We have partnered with passionate organic grain farmers on Vancouver Island to grow and mill this great tasting wheat that helps us secure our planet as well as our food security.
- Our Organic Island wheat is available in whole sifted or bran while quantities are available. We may also have access to non-organic Island Grown wheat. email email@example.com for more information